Current Students

Disability Services

What is a Disability? [top]

To put the discussion of services to students with disabilities into the proper context, it's important to understand how "disability" is defined under the law.

The United States' Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) defines “disability” as “having a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more of the major life activities.” The ADA protects individuals from discrimination if they have a record of such impairments or if they are regarded as having such impairments. Additionally, specific protections are guaranteed through Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 (amended, 1978). View this definition and additional information at the ADA website.

At Horry Georgetown Technical College your success is our highest goal. The Office for Students with Disabilities provides students with disabilities an equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from programs and services offered at HGTC. Horry Georgetown Technical College is dedicated to providing appropriate services and accommodations to students with documented disabilities, in compliance with Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and other applicable regulations.

As a primary initial responsibility, students with disabilities who desire accommodations at HGTC must make that request and provide required documentation of any disability to appropriate staff as soon as possible, and preferably before the start of the first semester of attendance. We call this step "self-identification," and no further steps in providing accommodations can occur until the student takes this first step.


Who is Eligible for Disability Services? [top]

Anyone with a documented disability may register with Disability Services. The disability may be physical, psychiatric, or psychological in nature.

The disability may fall under one of the following broad categories:

  • Mobility impairments
  • Hearing Impairments
  • Visual Impairments
  • Learning Disabilities
  • Chronic Physical Conditions
  • Attention Deficit Disorder/ADHD
  • Psychological Condition (DSM IV Diagnosis)

Depending on your disability, you may be eligible for accommodations while you are applying to the college. Be sure to ask about possible accommodations in placement testing.


What Documentation is Required? [top]

Your documentation must demonstrate an existence of a condition covered by the American's with Disabilities Act. Acceptable documentation should be signed by a licensed provider and must include specific information regarding the condition as well as its impact on learning.

It is the responsibility of the student to provide documentation to the appropriate HGTC disability services provider. This disability services provider can give you more specific information about documentation guidelines.

After submitting your documentation you can arrange a meeting with your campus' Disability Services provider (see “who should I contact”). You and your disability service provider will decide on appropriate academic accommodations supported by your documentation that will help you to reach your academic goals.

Based on your individual needs and supporting documentation, accommodations may be provided in the classroom. Referral to outside agencies and other resources are also available.

Who Should I Contact? [top]