Admissions: What type of student are you?

New Student Orientation

HGTC's OCEANS is designed to help new students make a successful transition to college.

New students will:

  • Learn about campus resources designed to help students reach their goals
  • Have an opportunity to have their questions about HGTC answered
  • Meet other new students, current students, and staff/faculty members
  • Become familiar with the importance of regularly using WaveNet, HGTC's internal communication system
  • Gain a better understanding of HGTC's policies and procedures
> Register For Spring 2013 Orientation

Student Success [top]

What is the difference between a high school and college environment?

The college environment requires students to function independently, be self-directed, and be mature enough to handle adult subject matter and a diverse population. College students are expected to contribute to the learning environment and behave in a manner that will not disrupt instruction, the classroom, events, or other campus settings. The college workload averages two hours of homework for every hour of class time.

What if my student is struggling academically? How can I help?

Students, particularly new students, can encounter academic difficulties. The adjustment to a college environment can be challenging. If you find signs of declining interest in a subject or of increased frustration, you should encourage your student to contact a faculty member or the Student Success and Technology Center (SSTC) for assistance. The SSTC provides free tutoring to students and can assist with challenges your student may be facing in math, writing, or a number of other subjects.

If my student is having problems with the teacher, how can I set up a teacher conference?

Trying to arrange teacher conferences or making personal phone calls to the instructor to discuss your student's performance is not encouraged at the college and university level. Students (regardless of age) are expected to take the initiative to address academic or personal problems that may interfere with their ability to succeed in a course. The college provides advisors and counselors to assist students in overcoming academic difficulties, up to and including a grievance process if students feel they have been treated unjustly. However, it is not encouraged for parents to contact faculty or academic administrators about their student's performance - that is the responsibility the student assumes when registering for college-level classes.

When my student asks how to succeed, how can I offer encouragement?

Here are a few tips that can help all students:

  • Attend Class: It is very important for students to be present for all class sessions. Missing class means missing important information that will affect the success of the learning process
  • Keep and Review the Course Syllabus: Your student's syllabus is the contract with the instructor. It includes instructor contact information, required course texts, class objectives, assignment deadlines, and grade computation
  • Be Prepared for the Class: Have the necessary supplies and textbooks needed for the class, and also be prepared for engaging in class discussions.
  • Take Notes in Class: Active participation in class is very important. Taking notes is an important way to stay actively involved with the material being covered in class. Class notes are a valuable tool when preparing for tests or completing homework assignments
  • Meet With Instructors: Professors always provide their contact information in the course syllabus. Students can call professors, email professors, or make appointments to speak with professors outside of class, if necessary

Support Services [top]

Where can my student go for extra academic help?

The Student Success and Technology Center (SSTC) provides free tutorial assistance in many subjects including math, English, computer technology, biology, and more. There is also a Writing Center on each campus to assist students with papers. Students can also access Smarthinking, a 24-hour online tutorial service at no charge.

Are there computers on campus that my student can use?

Students can use the computers in any HGTC Library. Students must have a valid student ID or must get a temporary pass from the circulation desk prior to using the computers.

Who will help my student pick out the classes he/she needs to take?

New HGTC students should see a New Student Advisor who will help them develop an academic plan and interpret placement test scores.
Returning HGTC students should see their assigned faculty advisor for help with choosing classes. Students can log in to WaveNet to find the contact information for their assigned faculty advisors.

My student had an IEP in high school. Can he/she receive accommodations in college?

The process for receiving accommodations in college is slightly different from the process of receiving accommodations in high school. In order to receive accommodations at HGTC, students must self-identify to the Disability Counselor on one of HGTC's campuses, provide documentation of a disability, request accommodations each semester, and meet with professors each semester to notify them of the designated accommodations.

My student is unsure of his/her major. Can someone help him/her make up his/her mind?

Career Counselors in Student Affairs can help decide a major or career path and can provide resources to discover career opportunities.

Career Counseling
Conway: 349-5309
Georgetown: 520-1403
Grand Strand: 477-2060

Will someone help my student with the job search process?

The Career Resource Center provides résumé assistance, job placement help, access to an online job board, mock interviews, and a complete resource library. Services are available to any enrolled student or HGTC graduate at no charge.

Student Records [top]

Why is HGTC unable to tell me anything about my student?

According to Federal law, college students have the right to the privacy of all their education records including grades, financial information, and disciplinary records. Under this law, parents or family members who want to gain access to a student's records can do so only if the student provides written permission.  It is the responsibility of the student to communicate with family and loved ones to tell them how things are going. The student may talk to a staff member in HGTC's Registrar's Office about options available concerning the release of information.

How can I get a copy of my student's grades?

The easiest and fastest way to obtain information about your student's grades or records is for the student to provide it for you. Students can look up their grades by logging in to their WaveNet accounts.

I am paying for my child's education. Why can't I get a copy of their records?

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requires that access to a college student's records can only be given with written permission of the student. Students may talk to a staff member in HGTC's Registrar's Office about options available concerning the release of information.
The easiest and fastest way to obtain information about your student's grades or records is for the student to provide it for you. Students can look up their grades and other school records by logging in to their WaveNet accounts. You can work with your student to obtain copies of any private records that that you may need.

How can I get verification of my student's enrollment for my insurance company?

You or your student may obtain verification of enrollment on any HGTC campus. Because enrollment status is considered “directory information” by Federal privacy law, it can be released without the written consent of the student. To obtain verification of enrollment, visit the following offices: Conway Campus: Registrar's Office, Georgetown Campus: Front Office, and Grand Strand Campus: Admissions Office.