International StudentsHorry Georgetown Technical College welcomes international students who wish to pursue collegiate-level study in the United States. HGTC’s International Advising staff will help international applicants complete the documents that are required to secure an F-1 Student visa. Assistance is also available for international students who wish to transfer to Horry Georgetown Technical College from another college in the United States or who wish to change their current visa status to F-1 Student.
You can choose one of the following methods:
1. Submit the application.
- Apply in person at one of our three campuses
- Download the application and mail it to HGTC at:
P.O. Box 261966
Conway, SC 29528-6066
Each application must be submitted along with a non-refundable $30 fee.
- After your application is complete, you will receive your HGTC student ID number, called an “H-number”. Be sure to make a copy of this number for your home and carry your H-number card when you’re on campus
- You will also receive a Username and Password for access to WaveNet, the college-information site. You will have a WaveNet account so that you can check financial aid, account balance, grades, email, and much more. On each campus, WaveNet Central can assist you in navigating this useful site.
2. If you do not speak English as your primary language, you must submit proof of your English-language proficiency.A minimum computer-based score of 173, Internet-based score of 61, or paper-based score of 500 on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) is required. If you are already in the United States, you may elect to take the COMPASS Placement Test as an alternative to TOEFL.
3. Provide copies of current visa and passport documents, including both sides of the I-94 card.
Request your high school to forward an official transcript of your coursework to the
HGTC Admissions Office. Faxed and e-mailed transcripts from the school are also accepted. Click here to
download a Transcript Request for Admissions.
4. Provide a certified English-language transcript of high school/secondary school
Your Enrollment Advisor can help you fulfill the admissions requirements, so make
sure you visit a New Student Enrollment Center early in the process. Advisors see
students on a walk-in basis all year long, so there's no need for an appointment.
However, please try to avoid the busiest time, which is right before the beginning
of each semester. Click here for a link to New Student Advising
5. Attend an Advisement Session.
On the Conway Campus: Building 1100, Room 120
Where are the New Student Enrollment Centers located?
On the Grand Strand Campus:
Building 200, Room 117
On the Georgetown Campus:
Building 100, Room 104
Your Enrollment Advisor will also help you create your schedule of classes, so make sure to meet with him or her again after you have completed the admissions process.
If you have questions about the advisement process, email the staff at email@example.com.
that documents that you have financial resources adequate to cover tuition and expenses
during your program of study. This form is in your International Student packet and
should be completed by your sponsor or by your bank, if you are self-supporting. It
can be mailed or faxed to the college; if faxed, the original should follow by mail.
6. International student applicants are required to submit a Certification of Financial Support
Admissions/New Student Enrollment
Horry Georgetown Technical College
P.O. Box 261966
Conway, SC 29528-6066 USA
Estimated Annual Cost to Attend HGTC
Tuition & fees (2 semesters) $6,094
Miscellaneous Expenses $1,118
NOTE: The above costs do not cover all possible contingencies and international students are not eligible for federal/state financial aid or most on-campus employment. In addition, it is strongly recommended that you purchase health insurance and either purchase or lease a vehicle while you are a student in the United States.
After being admitted to HGTC, international students are required to pay a two- semester tuition deposit of $6,094. This deposit will be used to pay tuition and fees for the first two semesters of enrollment and is fully refundable if you decide not to study at HGTC.
When the deposit is paid, the SEVIS Form 1-20 will be issued; this is the form you will use to request an F-1 Student Visa. F-1 visa applicants must pay a $200 fee at least 3 business days before applying for a visa. Go to www.fmjfee.com to apply.
7. Prospective international students currently in the United States with a valid visa other than F-1 Student must also complete the Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status Form I-539 (www.uscis.gov)and submit the $290 fee to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
8. All new HGTC students, including international students, are required to take the
college placement tests (COMPASS) in reading, writing, and mathematics prior to choosing courses and registering for
Developmental coursework is available for students who require further skill-building prior to enrolling in credit-bearing courses.
9. Attend an Orientation Session.
Many new students are required to attend an HGTC orientation session, known as OCEANS, to help you make a successful transition to college. This orientation will allow new students to:
- Learn about campus resources designed to help you reach your goals.
- Learn about book purchasing, tuition payments, student parking, safety, HGTC email, the academic calendar, and much more.
- Have an opportunity to have your questions about HGTC answered.
- Meet other new and current students, as well as faculty and staff members.
- Learn how and why to use WaveNet, HGTC’s online campus-information center.
- Gain a better understanding of HGTC’s policies and procedures.
The OCEANS sessions are offered several times prior to the beginning of each semester, so that you can attend one that works with your schedule. You must sign up in advance for the OCEANS session that you want to attend. Click here to register.