Vision and Mission Horry-Georgetown Technical College Library
Horry Georgetown Technical College Library strives to be an approachable, accessible organization that is sensitive to the needs of all users while providing a positive learning experience and fostering excitement in the process of discovery. The Library team of avid learners is highly trained, technologically sophisticated, and committed to the intellectual and structural life of the college. The Library promotes enlightenment, innovation and cooperation in the quest for excellence in our organization.
The Library supports the mission and educational objectives of the college by developing a collection of materials and teaching information skills in a variety of formats appropriate to the curricula and delivery methods of Horry-Georgetown Technical College. Our services include modern library information technology and audio-visual media for the students, faculty, staff and community members of Horry and Georgetown Counties.
Graduate professional librarians, paraprofessionals and trained staff provide resources and services relevant to the general informational needs, intellectual and professional growth, cultural development and recreational activities of the total College population. The Library's staff members are committed and enthusiastic participants in the College's planning process, academic affairs and curriculum development. All materials selected are provided for instructional support purposes in accord with the principles embodied in the American Library Association Bill of Rights and the College policy on academic freedom.
We strive to provide:
- a unified program of print and information technology resources to meet the needs of students, faculty, staff and community members
- physical facilities that are accessible, comfortable, secure, friendly, quiet and inviting
- competency based instruction that supports student learning outcomes
- access to many carriers of knowledge so students may develop judgment in selecting the most relevant information
- extended resources and services to the public and local industry, whenever possible, as a subsidiary function
- resources and services relevant to the information needs and to the intellectual, professional, cultural, and personal growth of the college community
We strive to promote:
- faculty awareness of the libraries and their technology at each Horry Georgetown Technical College campus, as they relate to the instructional programs
- information literacy by teaching students to locate, evaluate and effectively use needed information as part of the learning process